Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:59:57 -0700
From:      "James W. Frey" <jwfrey1@mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrading Question

Hi,
  I'm fairly new to FreeBSD and recently purchased version 3.2-RELEASE.
I'm trying to upgrade to 4.1.1-RELEASE through my cable modem to the
standard FTP site. Everything is fine until about halfway through the
"Extracting bin into / directory" stage when I get a:

         (date) (time) /kernel: pid 355 (sh) uid 0: exited on signal 12
(core dumped) error.

  It still continues however I get a few more of those errors but with
pid 357 (sh), pid 358 (gunzip), and finally pid 359 (cpio) at which time

it finally stops and gives me a "Broken Pipe" error. I don't think the
kernel is active afterwards because it doesn't recognize any commands I
give it afterwards, even "shutdown".
  I am running a standard home built Pentium 500 with 128 Mg SDRAM and a

13 Gig HD partitioned with Win98 on 9Gigs and a 4Gig partition for
FreeBSD. Everything runs fine and I really love FreeBSD but I can't get
it upgraded to the latest version because of this.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Also let me know if there's any further

information that you need.

Thanks very much,
James Frey