Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2001 13:28:52 +0000
From:      David Larkin <David.Larkin@DJL.co.uk>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   No disk found ! Hitachi DK23AA-90

I posted this to 'questions' yesterday, but guess it really
belongs on the 'hardware' list.............

Hi,
In June this year I reported a problem installing 4.3 on my laptop.
This is a machine with 2.2.8 already installed.

I was unable to resolve the problem and decided to wait for
4.4 release and try again. Unfortunately with 4.4 I am getting
the same problem.

I have appended my message from June below, together with
a reply from Andreas who had experienced a similar problem
and offered some explanation.

Maybe I show stick to Windoze after all ;-)

David

>From June 7 2001

> David,
>
> I am experiencing the same kind of problem with release 4.1 and 4.2
boot
> disks. From the kernel messages I derive that the IDE controller (Acer

> Labs PCI chipset) is not recognised by the ata driver. I the built (on

> another machine) a customized kernel with the old wd driver and copied

> it over to the install disk. Since you had no problem with 2.2.8, this

> could also be the way to go for you?
>
> Though, I do not understand why the installation kernel doesn't use wd

> right away. This could save some people a lot of trouble. Somebody
> responsible for the  boot floppies should decide to switch back to the

> 100% reliable wd driver.
>
> Andreas

Menu