Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:23:39 -0800
From:      Jeffrey Williams <jeff@sailorfej.net>
To:        Andrew Thompson <thompsa@freebsd.org>, dimitry@andric.com
Cc:        killing@multiplay.co.uk, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7, runaway clock as guest OS on Microsoft Virtual Server

Hi Guys,

Ok it is set, it does seem a little better, the clocks are still running
ahead by an average of about 30-40 seconds, but they seem to have slowed
down enough for ntpd to maintain the time by slewing, instead of
stepping.  I did get a fresh batch of calcru errors from one of the
servers right after reboot (possibly because I am setting
kern.timecounter.hardware in sysctl.conf instead of loader.conf). I will
let you know how it looks after it has run for an hour or two.

I tried TSC instead of i8254 on a third server, it was better than
ACPI-safe, but much worse than i8254.

Thanks,
Jeff