Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 23:43:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dleeds@dfacades.com (Daniel Leeds)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vidcontrol questions

> i work on a laptop and use vidcontrol to set my screen background to
> blue and text to yellow.
>
> if i use lynx or some other programs it reverts back to black and white
> when i quit...is there some way to make yellow and blue the default so
> whe i boot its like that and it wont change if some program exits
> and resets the terminal as i assume its doing.

There is a conflict between the ISO color sequences adjunct to ANS 3.64
and the use of attributes.

What does reverse video mean?  What does underline mean?

In the monochrome days, underline meant "set this bit in display memory
for all displayed characters".

In the color days, there was no underline, only color attributes (and
a blink bit that could be defined to blink on clock OR provide an
additional bit selector for background color).

An underlined word meant "dark blue on black" instead of "white on
black" because of the 0-7 value assignments for the 4 bits.

So when you select an attribute, you are selecting colors.

How "esc [ 0 m" affects colors depends on whether the attributes
are considered specific color combinations, modifications of
the default color combinations (ie: "reverse = flip foreground/background",
but "underine = ???" and "bold = ??? [flip bit 3?]", etc.).

SCO has additional sequences in its console to allow selection of
color pairs for attributes.

But say I build a set of texts like:

,--------------------------.
| most of the text         |
|                          |
|                          |
| ,-------------------.    |
| | Warning text      |    |
| `-------------------'    |
|                          |
|                          |

And I want to invert one word of the warning text.  What is inverse now?

The correct way to handle this is to change your bold, underline, and
"attribute off" termcap entries to set the colors you want.. and the
"off" means "set back to my preferred colors" instead of "off".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.