Date:      Fri, 22 May 2015 16:01:26 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is the forum down?

--rOhwab83Dq1BwiMUgf7H0VNgwJaeX7FAn

On 05/22/15 15:24, J2R2 P wrote:
> Alternatively, could you please point me to a resource that clearly
> explains how to allow the user to switch to a regular xterm console
> after starting xfce4 using startx; and how to return to the normal xter=
> after login out or exiting the xfce4 session. I seem to just get the
> monitor turned off no matter all the changes I have made to many config=

> files during the last few days.

Uh... 'xterm' is an X client program that needs to have an X server to
connect to -- ie. you have to startx before you can run xterm.  Show us
your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and we can tell you if that's what is biting you=
=2E

Do you mean returning to the system console after running X?  That
depends on your graphics hardware IIRC.  For certain Intel chipsets,
once you've switched to X windows, you can't get back to the system
console without rebooting.  If you really need to run X on such a setup,
I'd recommend setting up slim (x11/slim) or a similar display manager
and always working in the X environment.  Or else avoid X completely.

	Cheers,

	Matthew