Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 07:49:27 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel config utility

So, would having a kernel config utility help us get better
reviews?  I was thinking about something like an explorer-type
thing that was divided into two panes.  On the left would be
LINT.  Here, we would have icons representing the various
devices.  For example, we could ahve an icon representing an
ethernet card, another icon representing a serial port, etc.  On
the right hand side we would have the custom kernel config file.
You could just drag the icons over to the right hand side to add
devices to your kernel config.  And, of course, you could always
just delete the icons you don't need.

By clicking on the icons, a properties pane would show the
properties for this device.  Of course, there should be some way
to represent options, such as DEVFS or SOFTUPDATES.

Of course, I like using vi better, but I've heard some people
complaining about "how hard it is to configure a FreeBSD
kernel."  I know I didn't fully convey the principles, but you
probably get the general idea.  Of course, when you're down to
using teddy bears and talking parrots, then you know you've made
it too simple. :-]

- Donn