Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:35:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>, Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>, Jimmy Olgeni <olgeni@uli.it>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What about rc.shutdown.local?

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Greg Black wrote:

> Jan Grant writes:
>
> > > Better still would be /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*.sh called automatically
> > > with parameter stop. To do so, insert
> >
> > This is all nice (BTDT) although I find the *.sh pattern quite annoying,
> > due to the alphabetisation issue. When I make these mods I tend to use
> > the SysV-style S* and K* patterns - that means you get to control the
> > order of startup _and_ shutdown (which might need a different sequence).
>
> This seems trivial.  I name the scripts with two-digit prefixes
> and an underscore so that I can have meaningful names and an
> easy way to control the sequence.

It _is_ trivial, but you miss my point: I run several things at startup
that rely on a database service (which needs to be launched first). When
they shut down, the DB must still be running (it's taken down last). So
using a *.sh pattern for startup and shutdown scripts doesn't satisfy my
requirements.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
The Java disclaimer: values of 'anywhere' may vary between regions.