Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2001 16:42:17 -0700
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Background Fsck

	Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 11:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
	From: Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
	To: Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>
	cc: arch@freebsd.org

	On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Kirk McKusick wrote:

	> The implementation will be to add a new option, -B, to the front end,
	> fsck. The startup scripts will invoke fsck twice, once at the current
	> location without -B to do all the foreground checks, and once towards
	> the end of the startup script with -B to start the background checks.

	On further thought, I'd like to propose the following alternative
	behavior:

	fsck -F			# perform foreground checks
	fsck -B			# perform background checks
	fsck			# perform all checks

	I.e., the rc scripts will invoke first using fsck -F, then
	fsck -B (feel free to twiddle letters here).  However, if
	a user simply invokes fsck by itself (or with other arguments,
	such as -p) in single-user mode, the full checks will be
	done.  This preserves the sanity of long-lasting documentation
	that indicates simply running fsck or fsck -p on hitting
	single-user-mode is sufficient to restore a file system to
	normal functionality.  In this way, it's possible also for
	the default behavior without special flags to block until
	the file systems are ready, the currently expected behavior.
	It's possible I'm misunderstanding an aspect of the way
	you've described a flags that makes my suggestion redundant,
	if so, let me know :-).

Your suggest is excellent. I will do it as you suggest.

	Kirk