Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:59:42 -0500
From:      "Matthew P. Marino" <bind9@citystamp.com>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions wanted - dealing with file sharing in AOL IM

chip wrote:

> One of my sons asked me today, about opening a port on the firewall so he and
> some friends from school can share files. I'm a bit leary of opening a port
> on the firewall. I know my freebsd boxes will be safe from windoze viruses by
> there are also 4 windoze boxes on my network. I was thinking maybe opening a
> high number port, say over 50000 or whatever (at least then it would be
> relatively safe from casual port scanners). Or is this 'stinkin thinkin'?
> I suggested setting up an ftp site and he could give his friends passwords,
> but he would rather just use the IM sharing feature. I've never used, so I'm
> not familiar with it.
> How have you guys dealt with this?
> --
> Chip

 Say NO. If he complains, un-plug the computer for about a month. FTP will look
pretty good. Let me guess, MP3's??? I wouldn't trust AOL IM features. If he's
interested in coolness set him up with a domain name and an Apache virtual
server with PHP4. He can have a very nice web presence and gain valuable job
skills in the process. My son's only 6. So it's easy for me to talk. I haven't
crossed these bridges yet. Right now he's cool with Nickjr.com and
starrynight.com. I did kick him off the family computer for mucking with the
folder names.