Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 23:15:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      -Vince- <vince@apollo.COSC.GOV>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp/slip via telnet/rlogin

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > 	Well, I had draw a diagram of what I wanted to do and it's quite
> > simple as atleast a few people know what I am trying to do is to provide ppp
> > to people who telnet or rlogin using a 8 bit clean connection but their
> > accounts will be on a static ip and have a domain name assigned by me and
> > works similar to the way SLiRP works except it will use a real ip instead
> > of a emulated address like SLiRP which goes out as the address of my
> > machine and not of their own ip address.
>
> A tip; use a few of these ........
>
> Now, firstly, your diagram wasn't worth spit, which is why I never bothered
> trying to make sense of the accompanying message.  Second, you're _still_
> not explaining what you're trying to do.

	Okay, hopefully I can explain it better here...

> So, in the hope that we'll get your two-stroke neuron ticking over, let's
> ask a few questions :
>
> 1) Where are these "people", relative to your site?  Local or remote?

	These people are all remote connecting via modem to a modem on a
terminal server or unix machine somewhere else.

> 2) How are they getting a telnet connection to you in the first place?

	Well, they connect by modem and then telnet in or rlogin in using the
-8 option to make the line 8 bit clean.

> 3) If they have a telnet connection to you, don't they already have IP
>    connectivity?  If so, why run IP over that again?

	Well, they do for shell connectivity but not from the machine
they are physically using.

> 4) Are you trying to go around a firewall?  If so, this is not how to do it.

	Nope.

> > I understand this can be done
> > with iijppp but the docs are in japanese or some other foreign language
> > and the manpage only mentions it but doesn't tell you how to set it up...
>
> Totally wrong : you can't do it with IIJ, the manpage is in english, and
> the manpage doesn't mention it, but _does_ tell you how to configure IIJ.

	Hmmm, someone mentioned the iij docs were not in english and I
know the pppd manpages said this can be done.  What I want to do is
basically the same thing as SLiRP like how I currently am connected to
here now....

1) I dial out via modem of my FreeBSD box using kermit to astro.Berkeley.EDU
   directly.
2) I login and then rlogin -8 apollo.COSC.GOV -l vince to this machine
3) I run slirp -P on apollo(FreeBSD) and this will become the ppp server
4) I start pppd on my FreeBSD machine but all my sessions for TCP/IP will
   be using apollo's ip.  What I want to do is do the same thing as what
   SLiRP does except use my own ip which is part of COSC's class C address.
   Any ideas on how this can be done?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@COSC.GOV - GUS Mailing Lists Admin - http://www.COSC.GOV/~vince
UC Berkeley AstroPhysics - Electrical Engineering (Honorary B.S.)
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors
Running FreeBSD - Real UN*X for Free!
Linda Wong/Vivian Chow/Hacken Lee/Danny Chan/Priscilla Chan Fan Club
Mailing Lists Admin