Date:      Mon, 08 May 2006 12:06:34 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Marty Landman <martster@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Marty Landman wrote:
> I've just reinstalled FBSD 4.8 from the mini-iso on an old box (PII-133
> w/ 3
> GB on two hd's). The problem I'm running into is that my ports are looking
> for old, outdated packages, I think.
>
> So going from
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.htmltried
>
> to install cvsup to do a port upgrade:
>
> mrwilhelm# pkg_add -r cvsup-without-gui
> Error: FTP Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tgz:
>
> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
> pkg_add: unable to fetch '
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.8-release/Latest/cvsup-without-gui.tgz'
>
> by URL
> mrwilhelm#
>
> Same problem though, how can I tell my system where to get access to
> the 4.8stuff?

Somewhere back in 2004? :-D

Seriously, if you can find any package at all, I'd try
it.  I don't know that cvsup changes that much.  You
can use fetch or FTP to grab from a newer location
and add the package directly, e.g.

# cd
# fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/path/to/some/real.pkg.tbz
# pkg_add real.pkg.tbz

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey

--
Consultants are mystical people who ask a
company for a number and then give it back to them.