Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2003 21:57:42 +0200
From:      Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   LPRng doesn't work

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

Hi all,

I`ve setup a 5.1RELEASE box and want to configure my printer.

$ pkg_info | grep -i lprng
LPRng-3.8.21
LPRngTool-1.3.2
ifhp-3.5.7

$ dmesg | grep lpt
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

I get some output when I lptest > /dev/lpt0.

$ grep -v '#' /etc/printcap
lp
:force_localhost@
:cm=3DParalell Port Printer
:filter=3D/usr/local/libexec/filters/ifhp
:ifhp=3Dmodel=3Dpcl_gs,status,sync,pagecount,waitend
:lp=3D/dev/lpt0
:lprngtooloptions=3DFILTERTYPE=3D"IFHP" \
IFHP_OPTIONS=3D"status,sync,pagecount,waitend" PRINTERDB_ENTRY=3D"pcl_gs"
:mx=3D0
:prefix_z=3D300,a4
:rw
:sd=3D/var/spool/lpd/%P
:sh

$ lpq -a
Printer 'lp@localhost' - no network support for 'lpq' operation

Print jobs are stalled in /var/spool/lp. there seems to be a
permission problem as well:

$ checkpc -P lp
Warning - lp: cannot open lp device '/dev/lpt0' - Permission denied

$ ls -al /dev/lpt0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   0 Sep  8 21:22 /dev/lpt0

Are there any hints? Googleing the error messages didn't create any
output for me :-(

Thanks in advance

Elimar

--=20
  Experience is something you don't get until=20
  just after you need it!

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY

--4Ckj6UjgE2iN1+kY--