Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 16:33:08 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First interview hits the web..

On 3 Jun 99, at 3:50, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> Differences in name syntax in Japan.  They're never sure if I'm Mr
> Jordan or Mr Hubbard. :)

Don't know about Japan, but my Chineese friends put family name
first, followed by the personal name.

So, in China, I'd be Avery Mike.  Jordan would be Hubbard Jordan.
Kinda like big and little endian...

Now then..... if you are unaware of the difference in naming customs,
you're fairly happy with the state of the world.  Once you know,
confusion sets in.

When someone from the other part of the world introduces him or
herself, are THEY aware of the difference in syntax?  If so, are
they giving you their name in their syntax or yours?  And how do you
politely ask what they have done?  A journalist shouldn't have any
problems.... they aren't known for being nice to start with, and have
professional reasons to get the names right.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    If you don't make dust, you eat dust.