Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:17:58 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Splash crash

>Any idea what's causing this?
>
>Preloaded elf kernel "kernel" at 0xf0285000.
>Preloaded userconfig_script "/boot/kernel.config" at 0xf028509c.
>Preloaded splash_image_data "/boot/sandstone.bmp" at 0xf02850ec.
>Preloaded elf module "splash_bmp.ko" at 0xf028513c.
>module_register_init: module_register(splash_bmp, f0281570, 0) error 19

I expect your kernel is not actually panicing or crashing.  You just
don't see the BMP file displayed, right?

The current version of splash_bmp.ko is very limited.  The color depth
must be 8 bpp (256 color), and the size must be 320x200 or smaller.
If your BMP file doesn't satisfy these conditions, splash_bmp.ko will
return error 19 (ENODEV).  These restriction may be relaxed in the
future (no delivery date is promised, though).

Um, yes, there is another possibility of error.  If the video driver
finds it unable to switch video modes on your video card,
splash_bmp.ko will fail too.  Run the `dmesg' command and see if it
shows something like "...video mode switching is only partially
supported..." among boot messages.  There is no fix for this at the
moment. Sorry.

Kazu