Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:18:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        dmmiller@cvzoom.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cleaning house on /usr/src/*

In article <Pine.BSF.4.20.9912080909140.78678-100000@lcl225.cvzoom.net>,
Donn Miller  <dmmiller@cvzoom.net> wrote:
> In the course of development of -current, a bunch of directories are added
> and taken away from /usr/src.  So, about every month or so, I like to
> clean out /usr/src/* and start from scratch.  (Well, you know, sometimes
> you have so much of your own old code in there.)
>
> What is the best way to refresh /usr/src then?  Do I do an ftp of the
> current src at current.freebsd.org, or is it OK to cvsup from scratch from
> cvsup[n].freebsd.org?  Someone told me it puts too big of a load on the
> cvs servers by checking out the whole tree from scratch like this.  I
> would say it actually puts a lighter load on the cvsup servers, because
> there's no files on your machine to compare the tree with.  So, you're
> basically trading bandwidth for load.

You are right.  If you're building a src tree from scratch, it's
"cheaper" to CVSup from scratch.  The CVSup mirror sites generally
have more of a bandwidth surplus than a CPU surplus.  Besides, if you
FTP a snapshot first, that in itself uses a lot of bandwidth.

> So, what's the best way to "clean house"?  Of course, I only do this once
> a month or so if even that.  I normally cvsup every 1 or 2 days, but you
> know, every once in a while you've got to clean out the /usr/src because
> of all the junk directories.

Why are you getting these junk directories?  CVSup should be deleting
them if they're empty.  You really shouldn't need to wipe out your
tree and start over -- not ever.  Did you omit the "delete" keyword
from your supfile?

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron