Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:57:12 +0200
From:      Alessandro de Manzano <adm@unixmania.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is a debug kernel slower than a non-debug one ?

Hello!

Well, the subj says more or less all.. ;-)

On 4.x-STABLE systems, a kernel compiled with "options DDB" and
"makeoptions DEBUG=-g" is, at execution, slower than one compiled
without that two settings ?
Or is it "only" bigger on disk and, maybe, in memory ?

I ask you this because I'm evaluating the possibility of enabling DDB
on my production servers' kernel so in the very rare case of crash I'll
got a crash dump ( I'ld use also options DDB_UNATTENDED) and could
immediately have a backtrace report.

..Am I crazy ? :-))

thanks in advance!

--