Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 21:07:19 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trek73

>     I don't think any of the authors would mind if it went into /usr/games,

I certainly wouldn't.  It would be an old game returning home to the
Berkeley world, and I also used to play it a lot on the HP-2000.

The 'ol HP 2000 access, now that brings back memories...  Did you know
I once wrote an entire multi-user BBS (emeryville's HP-BBS) in HP
basic?  But I digress.. :)

- Jordan

> [...]
>      lar to batteries, to spread their destructive power through
>      space.  After discharging, these banks are then recharged by the
>      engines.  Each phaser can be set to automatically track a target
>      or can be manually rotated.  Unless engineering is jettisoned
>      (code 21), phasers only fire from 0-125 and 235-360 degrees,
>      relative to the ship's course.  In other words, each vessel has a
>      110 degree blind side in back of it in which phasers cannot fire.
>      If phasers fired into this blind side, they would destroy the
>      ship's engineering section.
>
>           The Captain also designates a wide or narrow phaser beam: a
>      wide beam to disrupt many targets; a narrow beam to inflict max-
>      imum damage on a single target.  The maximum spread of phasers is
>      45 degrees, the minimum is 10 degrees.  The total beam width is
>      twice the designated spread.
>
>           The firing percentage of each bank is preset to 100.  In
>      other words, the bank fully discharges when firing.  This can be
>      changed, however, using code 22.
>
>           The maximum range of phasers is 1000M; the maximum hit fac-
>      tor is 45 with a ten degree spread, 10 with a forty-five degree
>      spread.  Phaser hit factors are calculated by the following for-
>      mula:
>
>           hit = (bankunits)(firing%)sqrt(1-range/1000)(45/spread)
>
>           Phasers fire in .2-second intervals starting with bank one.
>      Phasers inflict heavy damage and casualties, but do not destroy
>      shields as much as antimatter explosions do.
>
>           A phaser is unable to fire if damaged, if firing into your
>      blind side, or if completely discharged.
>
>      2.  Fire Photon Torpedos.
>           [Tubes]
>

>                                    - 3 -
>

>      STAR                                                         TREK
>

>           The Enterprise is equipped with six torpedo tubes, which, as
>      phasers, can be set to automatically track a target or be manu-
>      ally rotated.  Unless engineering is jettisoned, tubes only fire
>      from 0-135 and 225-360 degrees.  Each tube fires all its
>      antimatter pods, which are temporarily held suspended in a
>      magno-photon force field.  Photon torpedos can be fired directly
>      at an enemy, laid out as a mine field, or scattered in an
>      attacker's path as depth charges.
>
>           Tubes must be loaded (code 9) prior to firing.  Each tube
>      will be automatically loaded with 10 units or whatever remains in
>      the engines, whichever is less.  Normally, torpedos are launched
>      at warp 12 in .2-second intervals, beginning with tube one.  Pho-
>      ton torpedos have a proximity fuse of 200M.  All of these values
>      can be changed by using code 22.
>
>           Torpedos must be launched with care since the antimatter
>      pods which are fired can never be recovered.  It is suggested
>      that you not fire more than four torpedos at any one time, since
>      a certain number of them do miss, or are destroyed by the enemy
>      firing phasers at them.  It is also suggested that you fire them
>      at distant targets, beyond 1100M, to avoid the explosion radii of
     your own weapons.  Hit factors resulting from antimatter explo-