Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 21:56:35 -0700
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@workofstone.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What would be the best way to copy lots of files from oneserver to another.

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 01:08  PM, Tom Samplonius wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Simon wrote:
>
>> I recently used rsync to copy ~35gb worth of data, 1,170,168 inodes,
>> without any problem over 100mbps interface. Took 3 or so hours.
>> You do need lots of RAM, if you swap, you're screwed. RAM
>> usage would depend on number of files you need to copy at once.
>>
>> -Simon
>
>   Yes, rsync uses large amounts of memory when the fileset is large.
> Plus, depending on your CPU, you might want to avoid using ssh
> encryption
> too.
>
>   Usually if it is a LAN to LAN copy, cpdup over NFS will be WAY faster
> than rsync, and use little memory.  I've used cpdup for moving mail to
> new server.  I synced before the cutover, shutdown the mail server,
> synced
> one more, and then brought up the mail server on the system.  Very
> tidy.

even faster than that:

cd sourcedir ; find . -print | cpio -o | \
ssh user@host "cd destdir ; cpio -pdmuv"

Drop the v to keep from cluttering your screen. You might need to add c
to both ends for 'compatibility' if it's different arch or vers of
cpio, but I have better luck with it.

I have yet to find anything faster over long links, use rsh for local
and it's even faster.

-Sean