Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 11:23:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        woju@bbs.ee.ntu.edu.tw
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP on 4 Pentium III(450NX) failed

> : replacements.  If you want to build a small cluster of high-powered
> : nodes, you should look closely at the AMD K7/700 and the Compaq
> : Alpha-based systems such as the single-processor DS20.
> =

> And I'm also very interested about what's the "right machines" for runn=
ing
> FreeBSD with AMD K7. Thanks for recommendation.

So far I've only been experimenting with a system built from parts.  =

The current set of K7 motherboards based on the AMD 75x chipset seem to =

be quite stable, but require very careful attention to power supply and =

cooling.

The biggest drawback so far has been the limitation of ~1GB of memory =

for those boards that I've looked at, hence suggesting these machines =

would make good cluster nodes rather than stand-alone servers for your =

application.

As a general rule, think "more small, cheap machines" rather than "one =

big expensive machine".  This is a strategy that has worked well for =

many people (yahoo, hotmail, etc.).

-- =