Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:02:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI latency? (was  Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

Stefan Esser stands accused of saying:

> Well, you most probably are right. That was what you were saying.
>
> But having the Latency Timer set to guarantee the NCR's instruction
> fetches at a rate of a few million a second (it takes 12 clocks to
> execute an instruction, which is equivalent to a cycle time of 360ns)
> seemed so strange an idea, that I didn't think you really meant that :-)

Uh, is that a cycle being 12 clocks/360ns?  Then you _do_ want the 810
fetching about 3 million instructions a second, assuming it runs non-stop,
however ...

> ... then the longer latency that results from the NCR not
> being able to fetch the next instruction immediately when its done
> with the previous one. The instruction fetches occur when the NCR is

And this answers the really critical question I had, which was whether
the '810 barfs if it can't fetch when it wants to.  From the sound of
this it doesn't, so the issue isn't one of keeping the part alive,
but keeping it happy.  It all becomes clear 8)