Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 02:36:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@freebsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        berard@univ-savoie.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3C590 Ethernet card & FreeBSD 2.1.0

> We want to use an 3C590 ethernet card under FreeBSD 2.1.0.
>
> We have got files if_vx.c and if_vxreg.h from FreeBSD-current,
> added if_vx.c in /sys/conf/files, and also got a new version of
> if.h.
>
> We have succeeded to compile the driver, but when booting, we get a core dump
> when the system tries to load the driver.

Are you really getting a core-dump ? Or are you seeing a panic ?
You need to build a new kernel with this driver included. This is no
lkm-loadable driver.

> Can someone give us the correct procedure to run this device under FreeBSD.

You should not change if.h. You need instead to adopt if_vx.c and if_vxreg.h
to work under the FreeBSD 2.1.0 release. I don't know what has changed
from 2.1 to current. Some major changes are a reorganisation of the
include-files. So you may need to play with that. And in the last weeks
some changes for the bpf.
If you can't find out the changes, maybe someone with cvs access can
pull out an older release of the driver that can be more easily integrated.
The first version of it entered the tree at 10/31/95. At that date it
should not be very different from 2.1.

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.10  Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe