Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 1995 19:53:30 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: An Outsider's View

At 6:44 PM 11/2/95, Garrett A. Wollman wrote:
><<On Thu, 02 Nov 1995 16:10:20 -0800, "Jordan K. Hubbard"
><jkh@time.cdrom.com> said:
>
>> Nobody really likes the model anyway since it requires a read/write
>> /usr/src to make the symlinks, and that bites.  You won't get much
>> (if any) pushback on rearchitecting that.
>
>Actually, I am rather fond of it myself, principally because it keeps
>a lot of cruft out of my way when I'm working on something, but
>doesn't require funny filesystems or other sorts of things that, while
>they would be nice, I'm not willing to trust on an experimental machine.
>
>As for the read/write question, well, `man lndir'.  I agree, it's not
>the best approach, but it's what we've got.  (I would frankly be far
>more comfortable with a system that kept obj links but made use of a
>funky filesystem to cover this case rather than getting rid of obj
>links and using a funky filesystem to hide the object cruft.)

The scheme that I have in mind would create a separate object tree just as
is now created in /usr/obj. The only reason that I see for the links is to
have a more direct access path to the intermediate directory of object
modules. For many users, this is unnecessary. Those object modules could be
kept in some invisible location which is only accessed through the
makefile.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net