Date:      Fri, 21 Oct 2011 15:13:00 -0500
From:      "Galati, Michael" <mcg+fbsd@sulfegate.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which ports require dialog during update

> =A0>Hi, Is there a way to tell which ports might require dialog input
> during update, i have some auto update scripts
> > Stop doing this.
> >
> > Your update scripts do not read /usr/ports/UPDATING.
> > Your update scripts do not read package changelogs.
> >
> > What you're doing is irresponsible, and potentially dangerous/harmful i=
> > your server is in production.
> >
> > You should really be very careful about this.
> i do of course read those files (which require daily checking to confirm
> usually no relevant changes, but thats another issue!)..
>
> however i don't need to read UPDATING on every box, (this tool is an
> assistent, not a replacement, for monitored updates.)
>
> i do need to check that an update that went fine on the initial test box
> will behave the same on other boxes, which is my question,
>
> can i tell if =A0the options dialog is going to be invoked?
>
> thanks
> Paul.

If you use portmaster, it will get the make config step out of the way
up front (as others have mentioned).  Since you're already building on
a test machine, why not use that system to build packages for your
other systems?  Invoking portmaster with the "-g" option will create
packages in /usr/ports/packages.  From there, upload the packages to
an FTP (or HTTP) server, or host them directly the test machine.
Setting the PACKAGEROOT environment variable will make pkg_add -r
<package(s)> pull packages from the test machine.

Doing things this way, you don't have to worry about getting prompted
for package options.  I'm yet to see any package actually require user
interaction during install, but YMMV.

This method, however, assumes that:
  - You are running the same version of FreeBSD on all systems
  - You use the same CPU arch. on all systems
  - You do not need ports build with different options on some systems
  - You are not using any conflicting packages

Unfortunately, there's no good way of upgrading packages on FreeBSD
(that I'm aware of, at least).  My solution (crude as it may be) has
been to remove all the packages and reinstall.

HTH,

Michael