Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:02:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za (Sheldon Hearn)
Cc:        khera@kciLink.com, ady@warpnet.ro, trond@ramstind.gtf.ol.no, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making sure /var/tmp/vi.recover exists during reboot

A *lot* of us have local administration procedures that are
inappropriate elsewhere, but are proper in a local context (or are
wrong, but they want or need to do anyway).

My laptop, for example, has a lot of o+rw permissions in /dev, /mnt
owned by mwlucas... you get the idea.  I don't want to become root to
mount a CD or hotsync my pilot, and my laptop isn't sitting behind a
T1.  Ditto for my desktop system.  I'm not going to suggest to the
Project that they run /dev/MAKEDEV with a nightmare umask just so I
personally don't have to "chmod 666 /dev/cuaa0" after every make
world.

The point is that system administrators, whether on big-ass systems or
little boxes, have to have local procedures to deal with local quirks.

I have shell scripts to handle these changes for me.  Simple shell
scripts, easy-to-write shell scripts, that handle my localizations.

FreeBSD's wdc driver does not support CD-Rom configured as a slave
without a primary.  This is because it is a violation of the IDE
specs.  This strikes me as more of the same.

Now please, can we let this die?  We all make suggestions that make
people go "bleah".

==ml