Date:      Mon, 02 Jun 2003 23:50:18 -0400
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        Dan Piparo <dan@danworld.net>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stable vs. release

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 19:12:33 -0400, Dan Piparo <dan@danworld.net> wrote:

> What is the real difference in running/compiling Stable src vs. Running
> Freebsd Release version and just continually updating and building from
> the ports?
>
> I have FreeBSD 4.8 Release installed now.  Am I at great risk if I don't
> upgrade to STABLE?

Updating what and building from the ports?  The ports "skeletons" can be
updated by cvsup-ing; the applications themselves can then be updated by
portupgrading, deinstalling/reinstalling, pkg_update, etc.  As time goes
on, however, if you do not update your base system it becomes more and more
likely that some port will expect a newer version of some base system file
than you have.

Stable contains improvements, including security improvements, made since
release that have undergone sufficient testing (often in the -current
branch) to be merged into Stable.  Because Stable accumulates changes from
a Release build known to work, there is of course a greater chance (though
not terribly great, thanks to the committers and core team) that something
will be broken.  There is also a more-stable-than-stable track, the
"security branch," which contains only critical and security fixes since
release.  That would be on a CVS branch tagged RELENG_4_8 if it is
available.  If you decide to update the base system along with ports, cvsup
them (base system RELENG_4 or RELENG_4_8, depending on whether you want the
Stable or Security branch) and go through the "make world" procedure.

Jud