Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:30:23 -0600
From:      Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
To:        Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Archiver packages on FreeBSD CD 1

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:02:41 +0200
Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro> wrote:

> > The "modern needs" of people can vary quite widely.
>
> If you interact with the win world unzip and unrar are needed; perhaps
> unace to.

Hrm... afaik, the install CDs aren't designed to allow you to interact with
anyone except (possibly) users.  If you are going to be interacting with
windows on a regular basis, odds are that you're going to have an internet
connection... which... if you do, you can add these packages via sysinstall
or simply
pkg_add -r unzip
pkg_add -r unrar
pkg_add -r unace

The install CDs (again, my personal opinion) are there only to get you a
system that you can use... not one that does everything you need
(They don't include PostgreSQL!)

Regarding archive formats, if I want to interact with the win world (which
I do on a regular business... my workstation at work is Windows) only one
person out of literally hundreds have sent me a rar file... and that person
was more than happy (and defilately equipped) to sent me a zip instead.

I have never ran across a ace archive.

Whereas I could see a mild use for unzip before an internet connection was
established, I personally see no need for unrar and unace... as far as I'm
concerned, bzip2, gzip, compress, and unzip would be all could be "needed"

Of course, if you feel like bikeshedding, I could bring up stuffit...