Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:08:48 +0000
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        Simon Lindgren <lindgren@istudio.no>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Caching-only DNS?

Simon Lindgren wrote:

> My accessprovider (leased line) runs our DNS requirements on his own
> servers (we do not run
> 'named' or equivalents on our FreeBSD machine).
>
> Recently, nslookup's have started to fail all the time, with "query
> refused" messages.
> This happens only when ran from the shell - using telnet etc to domains work.
>
> I asked them about this, and they said that they've discintinued allowing
> "zone transfers" - and
> that my server probably asks for a zone transfer upon doing a 'nslookup'.
> Another
> possibility was that we ran something called "caching-only DNS'.
>
> How do I disable either? Or is there another solution? Not being able to do
> lookups is a major pain.

You have to setup you system specifically to run a caching-only server.
Ie.
create the /etc/namedb/named.boot file that has a line like

cache	.	db.cache

Then the db.cache has lines that have the root server (or more probably
your
ISPs nameserver). In short, you probably aren't doing that.

The question is, how are you doing queries with nslookup? Are you using
ls?
and what is your query type set as.

Maybe you want to consider running your own named as a secondary to your
ISP.
Get the O'Reilly book if you do. Maybe even if you don't. It's a great
book
for DNS.

Paul.

--
"The very best, and oldest, computer system built by man is Stonehenge.
 Built by the Druids, who didn`t die out, but went bankrupt trying to