Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 00:33:28 -0400
From:      Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running "Windows Emulation" headless ... possible?

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:18:07AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I want to run a Windows environment for one piece of software, but, I don't
> want to run it on my machine, I want to run it on a remote server ...
> basically, what I'd like to do is start up the 'VM', and connect to it using
> vnc ... the idea is that the software needs to run 24x7, but I need to be able
> to connect to it from multiple locations throughout the day ...
>
> Is there something that I can do using ... Xvfb?  Or something like that?
> Anyone have experience with this sort of thing?

I'm not sure if you mean you wish to run an MS headless server, or have
a server, running FreeBSD (or something else) with a Windows virtual
machine.

It should be relatively easy either way.  We run a headless MS server,
running Win2K (workstation actually--all it does is serve out the
antivirus program).  We have VNC server running on it, and therefore,
it's accessible, from Linux, *BSD or Mac with vncviewer.

If you were running the MS machine as a virtual machine, you might, at
this point, want to use qemu, rather than vmware3.  Others, as well as
myself, have been running into various problems with VMware, especially
on CURRENT (though if it's a server, I doubt you'd be running CURRENT.)

At any rate, with qemu, you could set up the server with tap networking,
give the MS machine its own address on the subnet, and run tightvnc
server.  (If the host machine runs Linux, then, you're probably better
off with vmware-server, which is free.)  Put tightvncserver on the the
MS machine (whether actual or virtual) and choose to install it as a
service to run at startup.  Then, you should be able to leave it running
24/7.  For example, I have a Linux machine with an address of
192.168.8.5, set up vmware server for bridged networking--it gets an
address from our DHCP server, something like 192.168.8.100 something.
If I ran vncserver on it, I could simply connect to it as if it's
another host on the network.

HTH

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Vampires are creeps.
Giles: Yes. That's why one slays them.