Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 19:20:31 -0500
From:      Brian Cully <shmit@kublai.com>
To:        GVB <gvbmail@tns.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RADIUS Solutions

On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 10:23:16AM -0800, GVB wrote:
> As I start to completely take over all the NT machines here and replace
> them with FreeBSD, I am faced with this challenge.  I will be running two
> FreeBSD machines for Radius Authentication.  Both using Meritt AAA and
> /etc/passwd for authentication.  What is the best way to synchronize passwd
> files between the two systems immediatly (or 5 minute incriments) upon user
> adds and password changes, etc.  NIS? rsync? etc..

One of the things we did was distribute a full password list every
four hours, but to get real-time authentication, we hacked our
daemon to query directly against our provisioning system if the
user wasn't in the password file or if his password had been
invalidated.

It works fairly well, and should be much more scalable than pushing
out full password files every five minutes or so, and also better
than doing all requests over the network.

--
Brian Cully						<shmit@rcn.com>
``I'm not surprised,'' said I. ``You created God in your own image,