Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 08:41:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Yani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
Cc:        andrew@squiz.co.nz, database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mysql 321 - Mysql 322 - msql

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Yani Brankov wrote:

> Andrew McNaughton wrote:
>
> > It's possibly stronger on features, but it's slower than mysql.  It is
> > speed he's emphasizing.
>
> Yes. It's much stronger on features, but (i heard, never tried it) mysql
> doesn't have commit/rollback command. It's a very big disadvantage.

Nor does it have (last I checked) subqueries or views which
eliminate fairly large classes of useful queries.  But, if you
can live without these features, mySQL is a real speed demon and
an excellent for database backed web sites.

In working with the two, I've also found a couple complicated
join queries where I just couldn't get the optimizer in
PostgreSQL (6.3.2 and 6.4) to do the right thing, resulting in
several minutes of processing per query, while mySQL did the same
query in the blink of an eye.

-john