Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 07:49:33 -0500
From:      "Robert Small" <robert@superjake.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI Question

I installed an Adaptec AHA-1542 controller in my system tonight, and
hooked up a Sony SDT-5000 tape drive.

When I try to boot into FreeBSD (5.0-20000511-CURRENT FreeBSD
5.0-20000511-CURRENT #4: Thu Jul 6 20:31:41 CDT 2000) I receive:

Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle down
(approximately 30-45 seconds later)
(Probe0:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc782c508
(Probe0:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc782c508
aha0: aha_cmd: Timeout waiting for adapter idle
ahainitmboxes: Initialization command failed
aha0 no longer in timeout
(Probe6:aha0:0:6:0) CCB 0xc782c508
(Probe6:aha0:0:6:0) CCB 0xc782c508
aha0: aha_cmd: Timeout waiting for adapter idle
ahainitmboxes: Initialization command failed
aha0 no longer in timeout

And it keeps repeating.  I had to remove the card to boot into FreeBSD.
The card recognizes the tape drive.

Any ideas?

Robert