Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:18:05 -0600 (CST)
From:      Alec Kloss <alec@d2si.com>
To:        imp@loxinfo.co.th (Santi Rosswong)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook

Santi Rosswong is responsible for:
>         In several announcements I have seen cryptic reference to a "Handbook".
> Is there any such thing as a "FreeBSD Handbook", and if so where can it be
> purchased?
>         I have a 68 year old brain, and a long learning curve, and although
> I have been a programmer for many years, I am really having a problem
> grasping all the fundamentals of the FreeBSD O/S. I need all the help I can
> get.
>
> Santi Rosswong

The handbook is available at
	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook.html
and is, of course, free.

I would venture to say that FreeBSD is fundamentally described as a
4.4BSD-Lite based operating system.  This means, more or less, that
FreeBSD is a UNIX flavor, and (as mentioned somewhere on the web site)
a UNIX flavor with a noble heritage.  Typically, when people talk about
UNIX in general, they are talking about either BSD-style UNIX or
SYSV-style UNIX.  Most other unixes are based on one or the other and
most incorporate features from both.  For fundamentals about using
FreeBSD, any UNIX book will help.  For information about administering
FreeBSD, the website or a book from O'Reilly and Associates
(http://www.ora.com/) should be a good source.