Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:08:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@northnetworks.ca>
To:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   vmware -- vmnet0

Hi all,

I have got vmware2 port setup and running with win98 on my IBM thinkpad
laptop.

I can run the ethernet in host-only mode, which is not what I want. When I
attempt to put it into bridged mode, I get 'Device /dev/vmnet0 not
configured'.

I have tried the following:

- symlinked /dev/vmnet0 to /usr/compat/linux/dev/vmnet1
- rewrote the vmware port install scripts to conifgure vmnet0 as opposed
to vmnet1

After reconfiguring the install scripts and reinstalling, I now get 'Could
not query bridging status on /dev/vmnet0'

2 reasons I want this to work is 1: just to let windows crash without
taking down my system :o) and 2: I bought Visio Enterprise for the network
documentation features and requires the network work in auto mode.

Tks much!

Steve Bertrand