Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 20:41:00 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        deity <mikekowa@ccia.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and WinNT

Simple, install FreeBSD on the NT box...:)
	With NT proxy server you're going to be limited in the type of services
you can provide to your FreeBSD system. You should examine what services
you need on your FreeBSD box. If you just need www, ftp read, gopher then
you can use a KERN compatible browser(netscape & Xwindows). Unfortunately
NT  proxy only supports Tcp/IP for winsock clients(win95), so things like
ping, traceroute, regular ftp, sendmail and other tcp/ip stuff won't be
passed by the NT proxy server to the net(but will work great on your local
subnet). You have the option of using SOCKs for your BSD system if the
application supports it. Depending on your network you can attempt to
bypass the NT server, ie if you know the external address of the proxy
server, and they have packet forwarding enabled(probably not). Things may
have changed since I installed proxy, and I've been cramming for finals so
you may wanna verfity this...hehehe.. You may want to setup NATD, w/ squid
in place of the proxy server or change your network setup...

At 09:09 PM 5/10/99 -0400, deity wrote:
>Ok u guys are my last chance,
>
>I have a freebsd box on our lan, i can ping every computer on the
>lan,(heres the sucky part)  we are useing a Windows NT proxy server, my
>freebsd box's gateway is set to the proxy servers gateway, but i still
>cannot ping any site(www.blah.com or by ip number).
>nothing i have read on the web or freebsd.org has help'd
>please point me in the right direction...
>thank you
>mike

Jonathan E. Lyons   			FreeBSD:The Power to Serve
parrothd@midwest.net 			MCP, MCSE, A+ Certified
http://parrothd.midwest.net/
ICQ # 14226912