Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:24:36 +0200
From:      Nealie <nealie@kobudo.homeunix.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA 6600GT Freeze

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 13:51 +0200, Nealie wrote:
> I have a problem with my system freezing when using an NVIDIA video card
> using the nvidia-driver port. All seems to work fine for a while but
> then the system freezes and won't even reply to a ping. This can happen
> regardless of whether I use openGL or not.
>
> Everything works fine using the "nv" driver, so it doesn't seem to be a
> hardware problem.
>
> My setup is as follows:
>
> uname: FreeBSD server.home 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #0: Wed Jul 19
> 11:19:16 CEST 2006     root@server.home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SERVER
> i386
>
> AGP NVIDIA 6600GT installed on an MSI K8T Neo-F V2.09 motherboard (VIA
> K8T800 Pro chipset) with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU.
>
> The NVIDIA driver is installed as per the instructions, with agp and dri
> removed from the kernel in order to use the NVIDIA agp interface, even
> though the sysctl settings suggest otherwise.
>
> If anyone has any ideas about this problem I'd be very grateful.

Just a quick reply to myself: The problem seems to be that the the IRQs
of the motherboards on board network interface and the AGP card are the
same. This works for a while but then something goes horribly wrong and
all comes to a halt. Why the IRQ is shared I have no idea as there are
nine free IRQs.

Unfortunately there is no way to change either of the IRQs in the BIOS,
so I've had to resort to replacing the on board gigagit network
interface with an add on 100Mb interface. All seems to be working
properly now with the NVIDIA driver.