Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:54:40 -0500
From:      Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need instructions:  build kernel on one machine;  install on another

Cheers,

This subject of building on one machine and distributing via NFS
(/usr/src, /usr/obj) has come up again. Most writers are describing
this as a "just works" type thing, but I have had problems in the
past, that if still present, could foul up another's attempts to do
this. Possibly some clarification is necessary for the list?

In the *past* I have installed from my FreeBSD Services 4.5 DVD, then
cvsupd and built world on my main "builder" workstation to 4.5-STABLE.
This machine has processor optimizations in its make.conf during its
update from 4.5-RELEASE to 4.5-STABLE like:

/etc/make.conf on PIII "builder" machine
--------------------snip----------------------
CPUTYPE=i686
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
--------------------snip----------------------

Now "builder" is up to date, and I want to build for a P60 machine
on my LAN.

I change the /etc/make.conf on "builder" to this processor type:
--------------------snip----------------------
CPUTYPE=i586
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
--------------------snip----------------------

I cd to /usr/obj and chflags and rm -rf its contents,
then cd /usr/src and make cleandir twice.

"builder" is ready to build for the P60 box, so I run buildworld
and buildkernel KERNCONF=P60kernel.

Now I NFS mount from "P60" to "builder" (/usr/obj /usr/src)
and on "P60" from /usr/src I invoke the:
make installkernel KERNCONF=P60kernel

This runs through OK.

Now on "P60" I invoke the "make installworld" and it dies
very early in the installworld process. I do not have the
exact error handy, but it seems to involve basic build/install
tools failing due to hosed processor optimizations for a PIII
in tools that are being used to installworld on a P60 processor.

The same P60 box will update fine if I put the src on it and
run the buildworld/kernel/installworld process locally.

And another PIII based system will work fine when I tune the
make.conf's and do the update via NFS mounting to "builder".

Is this a know problem (at least by me :-), and has it been
corrected in more recent versions (4.6 or "better").

If not, possibly an addition to this thread might help someone
else save some time in the future?

I have read in other threads that the processor optimizations
via make.conf are not that important for performance enhancement
at this time, but that GCC 3.1 will change this in the near
future (FreeBSD 5).

If this problem that I have had in the past with using processor
optimizations on a "builder" machine, then NFS mounting client
machines to for updating is valid, would this not become a more
commen problem seen on the lists?

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam@hiltonbsd.com