Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 2015 16:45:36 -0400
From:      Kaio Rafael <kaiorafael@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handbook x-config-quick-start is missing information to configure HAL and DBUS

Hello,

I am following Chapter 6. The X Window System [1] to install Xorg into my box.

I have installed the xorg package with "pkg install xorg" as the
handbook explains, but HAL service procedure is giving error:

'
service hald start
hald does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d)
'

I believe you should add a note for those users that install binary
xorg (using pkg) should also add 'HAL' using 'pkg'

# pkg install hal
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
The following 10 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
    hal: 0.5.14_28
    policykit: 0.9_8
    dbus-glib: 0.104
    dbus: 1.8.16
    gnome_subr: 1.0
    dmidecode: 2.12
    consolekit: 0.4.5_3
    polkit: 0.105_5
    gobject-introspection: 1.42.0
    libvolume_id: 0.81.1

The process will require 17 MiB more space.
2 MiB to be downloaded.

After HAL installation, everything works like the handbook

# service hald start
Starting hald.

Thank you

1 - https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config-quick-start.html