Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:21:57 +0100
From:      phk@freebsd.org
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: DEVFS and GEOM mandatorification timeline.

In message <20030124190057.91A3B2A7EA@canning.wemm.org>, Peter Wemm writes:

>> There is one errata point (can't rewrite BSD boot code on a disk
>> which is in use) which I am testing a patch for.
>>
>> I know of no bugs at present.
>
>BTW; assuming these are taken care of, do we really gain anything by
>waiting so long?

Some nights sleep before all hell breaks loose ?  :-)

>Frankly I'd rather have an extra month focussed on this
>code to shake out any remaining quirks and make sure that we have all the
>bases covered and that we actually deal with any reasons why folks might be
>using NO_GEOM and not letting us know.  It would give us an extra month to
>solve those before the next release/branch/whatever.

I personally wanted to give 5.0-R a chance in the wild, just to see
if somebody came up and said "You've busted all PC's in Elbonia"
or similar overlooked details.

Considering that there has not been a any reports on GEOM/DEVFS
which have filtered through to me yet means that I am open to a
more aggresive timeline.

Show of hands ?

When should I remove NODEVFS and NO_GEOM from sys/conf ?

When should I commit the consequent unifdef of 2865 lines ?