Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:30:42 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        "Jason R . Mastaler" <jason-dated-999134568.3c3c6f@mastaler.com>
Cc:        Greg Robinson <greg@rosevale.com.au>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 4.1.0 font problem.

On 2001.08.21 18:22 Jason R. Mastaler wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Greg Robinson wrote:
>
> > I've installed XFree86 4.1.0 from the ports collection, and I'm
> > having trouble viewing some fonts using either linux netscape 4.77
> > or freebsd netscape 4.76.
> >
> > The font's are just unreadable.
>
> I'm having the same problem after upgrading from XFree86-3.
>
> > I have a NVidia GeForce2 MX rev 161 as probed by Xfre86 and I'm
> > using the nv driver which comes with 4.1.0
>
> Similarily, I'm using the nv driver with a Diamond Viper 770 card.
> However, I have the same problem on Linux as well, so it's probably a
> general XFree86 issue.
>
> > I'm running 4.3-STABLE as of a few weeks ago.
>
> 4.3-RELEASE.
>
> --
> (TMDA - http://tmda.sourceforge.net)
>  (SPAM reduction for qmail systems)

I'm also running a Diamond Viper 770 (mine's an Ultra).  I had similar
problems with font readability until I discovered that the problem (at
least for me) was the DPI X was reporting for my monitor.  I have a 19"
LG 995E running at 1280x1024.  X was reporting 72dpi, but the Gimp
configuration dialog was reporting about 102dpi.  Passing -dpi 102 to
the X server helped big time.

jmc