Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:28:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        plageotakes@yahoo.com (peter lageotakes)
Cc:        Karl Agee <kdagee@owt.com>
Subject:   Re: books

> Its hard to buy only one book.  But if I must:
>
> FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your
> Personal Computer, Second Edition (with CD-ROM)
> By: Annelise Anderson  (Bit Tree Press)

I would have trouble picking just one.  I have four plus print out
chunks of the handbook at times.    Each has something going for it
such as friendly readable language, or higher definition detail
or structuring for task oriented layout so you can look up what
thing you want to accomplish and find a fair explanation of what
different steps are needed.

The Annelise Anderson book, FreeBSD an Open Source Operating System,

Absolute BSD by Michael Lucas

The FreeBSD unleashed book from SAMs

Someone has walked off with my copy of The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey
but it has good man page/handbook kind of detail.

All have their value.   I rummage through all of them for some things.

But, none of the books, handbook or stuff I get from the search
engines (Google and whatever) does a good enough job on the disk
access, formatting (why not?) slicing, partitioning, superblocks -
why so many, isn't just a waste of time - MBRs, boot blocks, the
detailed step by step process of booting,  and since all that stuff
is really at a low lever, bit and byte fields in those things and
how the system really uses them and which ones if doesn't bother
with, etc.    Some of that including a little bit of the bit and byte
stuff is in various of the books and in the handbook, but nowhere
have I found a complete definition of the whole thing.

If someone who really understands that stuff cold could write a
readable description of the whole thing it would be very helpful
to me.   From the frequent questions I see on the lists about
these things, I think some others would appreciate it too.

////jerry