Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 19:17:31 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        David Babler <root@Rigel.orionsys.com>, Michael Bryan <fbsd-security@ursine.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Denial of service attack from "imagelock.com"

At 06:11 PM 5/23/99 -0700, David Babler wrote:

 >hey get it, and ignore it. They're just sucking up all files they see,
>since, as I said, I have webpoison installed. Webpoison is intended to
>befuddle brain-dead spam address harvesters by generating an infinite
>number of "interesting" pseudo-random web pages containing what look like
>more links (more webpoison pages) and email addresses (all bogus). The
>links on the page are invisible to humans and included in the robots.txt
>file, so legitimate robots never should go there. Our imagelock.com
>friends spent a LONG time there.

Dave, could you write the people at noc@above.net and abuse@above.net
and tell them that? Ignoring the robots.txt file amounts to unauthorized
access -- big time. That's serious Web abuse.

The Webmasters on this list may want to look over their logs to see
if they've been hit and not known it. grep your logs for imagelock.com;
if you find that they're abusing your server, you may want to firewall
them out and complain to ABOVE.NET.

--Brett Glass