Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:57:55 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, oberman@es.net, sos@freebsd.dk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

* Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk> [010313 03:51] wrote:
> All very interesting, but a small point has been forgotten
> hasnt it ? The way I read this thread is that until recentlly
> write-caching was enabled by default and has now been disabled (hence
> the original obseravtion of disc performance dropping).
>
> I havent noticed that FreeBSD has a bad reputation for loss of data
> in the event of am power outage, and my own experience backs this up.
> As so many people appear to have been running it this way by default until
> now you might have though that if it were a serious problem in reality then
> people would have noticed by now ?

Your optimism is appreciated, however just because you can't see
the approaching hordes doesn't mean they're not at the gates.

To be true to our users, we need to either:

1) turn off write caching.
2) propogate bwrite() intention down to the device layer.

Daemon News Magazine in your snail-mail! http://magazine.daemonnews.org/