Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 08:25:20 -0800
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing GDBM_File (was: Location of GDBM_File in FreeBSD  3.2_Release)

[ Adding -committers because it suggests a course of action. This is
from -questions.
Someone was trying to make the GDBM_File module for perl and running
into difficulty.
I have a fix that will make the normal procedure work correctly given
where the gdbm port
gets installed, and suggest adding a port to automate adding the
GDBM_File module. ]

Adding

   INC => '-I/usr/local/include',

to /usr/src/contrib/perl5/ext/GDBM_File/Makefile.PL

then running 'perl Makefile.PL' and make appears to work for me.

I propose patching this in the -current and RELENG_3 branches
and making a p5-GDBM_File port that does some magic trickery
to run this and actually install it under
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl,
like all the other perl module ports. Anyone object strenuously to this?