Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 2009 19:45:45 -0600
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LDAP server gone -> impossible to login locally!

On 9/22/09, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>> This sounds like the correct solution, AFAIK it's the same concept as
>> for NIS, first check local files, then ldap. You don't want your root
>> credentials possibly be leaked accross the network. On the other hand
>> you don't want or need user accounts in the local files.
>>
>> Default first check local files which is fast, then fall back on ldap
>> if the user is not found.
>
> Actually I wrote them the wrong way, how odd!
> I actually have..
> group: cache ldap files
> passwd: cache ldap files
>
> I think that if it fails ldap, it does so very quickly - it certainly
> did this morning when I rebooted uncleanly.
>
> I believe I did try it as "cache files ldap" but I had some issues, I
> can't recall what they were though. I had quite a bit of difficulty
> getting it to work acceptably so when it did I left it alone :)
>
> On a related note, why is slapd so damn fragile? It's a righteous pain
> in the bum the way you have to run db_recover-X.Y /var/db/openldap-data
> if slapd fails to start.

I run OpenLDAP on a few boxes.  I don't recall the power failures or
rude shutdowns to ever give me problems...  Course, I don't have
anything hi-traffic, so I would definately have time for softupdates
to flush to disk before a crash is inevitable.

I've marked this thread, it's been useful already with the
'[unavail=continue notfound=continue]' pieces after the ldap
dictionary in nsswitch.conf

Now I have another command, db_recover

> It wouldn't be so bad if it logged anything, but even with full logging
> it gives a very cryptic message and if you have logging disabled (which
> is recommended for performance!) it won't say _anything_.

To have OpenLDAP logging, you have to insert local4.* statements in
syslog.conf, touch the given file, and restart syslog.  Any logging
that OpenLDAP would need to send, is then recorded in syslog.

Why they picked 4, of 1 through 7, I'm not sure.

I'd help you with that, if you'd like.