Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2014 07:58:34 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File system issues

On Mon, 2014-10-27 at 09:49 +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 22:52:51 +0200, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On 25/10/2014 20:36, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> >> Hi!

> >> I always disable journaling
> >
> > I think that's just a symptom here. The issue is stuff mysteriously
> > disappearing from my file system on a running system.
> >

> Hi,
>
> Weird stuff. If you read the following mail thread there is a confirmed
> problem with fsck on ARM systems with disappearing files.
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2014-September/009168.html
> It also states that the same problem does not occur on other platforms
> (and I can fsck my ARM systems usb-stick on a amd64 system successfully),
> but I thought it is worth mentioning.

It seems unlikely to be related, but it would be easy to test:

  mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 64m
  # assume that created unit 0
  newfs /dev/md0
  fsck -t ffs /dev/md0

If that reports errors, you've got the problem.  If it doesn't, it's
some other problem.  So far the problem exposed by the sequence above
happens only on one specific type of old low-end arm system; it hasn't
yet been reproduced on even other arm systems, let alone other arches.

-- Ian