Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 08:56:45 +0000 ()
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE/eIDE issues

Christoph Kukulies stands accused of saying:
> > the secret is to make sure that you give the
> > geometry that the BIOS uses
>
> That drive has 1244/16/63. FreeBSD sysinstall partition editor
> suggested 933/32/42. I entered these figures into the CMOS
> labeled and installed FreeBSD (2.1.0-xxx) and still was unable
> to boot - as I said, it found the boot loader but stopped
> right at beginning of loading the kernel.

Read the above again.  Tell _FreeBSD_ what the _BIOS_ wants.  It's not
out of the question that your BIOS crapped out at the thought of 32 heads.

> Has the disklabel to be rewritten everytime the geometry is
> changed? I think so.

Yes.

> --Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku@gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[