Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 01:41:29 +0200
From:      Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: netscape & dos file access

Steve Howe shared with us:

> i think i may be crazy here, but i have verified this any times.
>
> i got Netscape for FreeBSD form Netscape's site.
> if i modify the "bookmarks" path in the "preferences" file,
> whether relative, or absolute, to my W31 Netscapes bookmarks
> on my DOS partition, it will crash within 5 minutes or so.
> eventually crashing my entire system after a few restarts.
>
> however, i may change this path to my Lynx bookmarks in another
> directory on my BSDfs and it will run fine ... ?
>
> i can't understand this!  other programs do fine accessing the DOS
> partition, and Netscape shouldn't care where the blocks come off
> the hard drive ... ???

Netscape crashes FreeBSD? Strange indeed. The funny thing, it
works perfectly the other way around. A FreeBSD server, also
used as an X terminal and running Samba, has my bookmarks file
of Netscape and I use that from a Windows 95 PC. Works like a
breeze.

But I experience the same. Netscape hangs when I 'Open' the
bookmarks file from the DOS partition.

- Peter