Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:46:49 -0600
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Dana <akadanak@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What is my hostname?

Dana wrote:

> When I installed freeBSD (4.2 Stable) I entered my host
> as akadanak and the domain as kc.rr.com
> rc.conf shows hostname=akadanak.kc.rr.com
>
> The problem is that MySQL and apache both say
> cannot resolve hostname using localhost which is OK
> by me.
> However, when I try and use mail it tells me that the mail
> was rejected because root@akadanak.kc.rr.com does
> not exist.
>
> I connect to the internet just fine through roadrunner so
> I have a hostname but what should it be so these things
> will work?
>
> DanaDana,
	First off, it would be helpful to see the files /etc/hosts and
/etc/host.conf.  There should be an entry about localhost in the hosts
file.  You wont be able to send email using the name you made up, as it
isnt actually in dns.  To find out what hostname you actually have, you
need to do a reverse IP lookup if your IP address (as given by ifconfig)
was 199.101.117.33 you can do "dig PTR 33.117.101.199.in-addr.arpa" and
it will tell you your host name.  Note that the host name will change
whenever your IP changes...

Hope that helps,
--
Laurence Berland