Date:      Sun, 23 May 2010 20:44:29 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: if_wpi is all kinds of broken

> Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:18:30 +0200
> From: Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> On 17/05/2010 23:38, Dominic Fandrey wrote:

> >> Just because I have this link handy:
> >>   http://www.paul.sladen.org/thinkpad-r31/wifi-card-pci-ids.html
> >>
> >> That also has a link to some information on HP's version of the same thing.
> >
> > The official genuine parts list for my notebook only lists Intel and
> > Boradcom wireless modules. So I suppose I'll just have to risk
> > buying a PCIe Atheros that I cannot use.
>
> OK, this didn't really come as a surprise, the BIOS doesn't like
> Atheros:
> 	104-Unsupported wireless network device detected.
> 	System halted. Remove device and restart.
>
> I'm currently bypassing this by hotswapping the device after
> passing the BIOS check and I have to say, the Atheros device
> works great! No package loss, no interrupted connections ...
> even though I'm not very close to the AP.
>
> I put the connection under serious stress and it just keeps
> on working. It actually appears to be /reliable/. A term I
> never dared dream to apply to wireless networking.

It should like the Atheros 5212 as IBM re-sold this a/b/g card for some
time as the "IBM a/b/g" card. I can believe that other Atheros cards
will fail, but that one, if you can find one, should work fine. It does
on my ThinkPad T43, thought the BIOS on yours may be a bit too old. (You
might want to look for BIOS updates that might support it.)

ath0@pci0:11:2:0: class=0x020000 card=0x057e1014 chip=0x1014168c
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer