Date:      Thu, 14 Apr 2005 01:54:42 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge@nedprod.com>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: thread aware malloc

Niall Douglas wrote:

> KSE threads, FreeBSD v5.3. It's a mixture of process and system
> threads. As I mentioned in a previous post, it's eight times slower
> than Linux. See http://www.nedprod.com/Tn/ (scroll down to the
> screenshots).

Did you test on a "real" FreeBSD & Linux hardware (not VMWare)? Because
VMWare **greatly** pessimizes low-level operations that depend on
atomic/bus locks, CMPXCHG & similar operations that are used in
synchronization, context switches & multithreading, and IO operations
are also very very slow compared to real hardware. It simply cannot be
used to do benchmarks on (except if you're benchmarking vmware, not the
guest system :) )